[Harp-L] Embossing is the wrong word

Michael Easton diachrome@xxxxx
Thu Jan 19 21:58:37 EST 2017

I made some burnishing tools starting back in the early 1980’s.  I still have one but use it for something other than reed slots.
I use it in the dental lab to burnish in  the bottom edge of metal crowns.  It’s a single edge tool.

I agree with Richard on his description and that the act of rubbing the metal surface in order to re contour the shape is referred to as burnishing.

If I took a reed plate into the lab and showed my coworkers the process  they would all say I’m “burnishing the margin.”

Btw, the slot edge should be probably be referred to as the margin if you want to get more technical.  hahaha.

mike
www.harmonicarepair.com <http://www.harmonicarepair.com/>