[Harp-L] Airtight Chrom (was: The One Harmonica to Rule Them All)

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Sun Feb 12 17:58:19 EST 2017

The air tightness of the HFC arises from the fact that it has no slider.  The mouthpiece bears directly on the comb with zero clearance.

IF you are not using the HFC on a rack, You can place your index fingers on the ends of the mouthpiece and push down as you would push the button on an ordinary chromatic. A slight roll of your wrists moves the harp body instead of the mouthpiece.

If you are hand-cupping, the wrist-roll alone can accomplish the equivalent of pushing a button.

 The air-tightness facilitates single-reed bending.

The vertical motion of the mouthpiece impedes playing octaves and other deep-in-the-mouth double-stops. This doesn’t matter as much if you are playing your chordal harmonies on a guitar.

The motivation for the HFC design was hands-free rack playing.  Air-tightness was an unexpected benefit.  The extra cost of the HFC may be hard to justify for air-tightness alone.

Vern