[Harp-L] Seydel releases Tony Eyers Major Cross harmonica

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Tue Feb 7 12:59:35 EST 2017

Tony Eyers wrote:
<At the end of the day, we choose a tuning which best suits individual
<needs.

Word.

The layout of pitches in the instrument really, really affects what's
difficult (or even possible) to play and what's not.

For those who've never tried an alternative tuning, try buying something
different and put it in your pocket as your walking-around harp.  After a
few weeks that instrument will seem much more familiar and friendly, and
you'll probably have some ideas about what new things you can do with it.

What you DON'T want to do is try to make an alternative tuning do
everything you already do with standard Richter-tuned instruments.  That's
not what the alternative tuning is for; it's for doing the things that are
really, really hard on standard Richter.

Most of the harmonica parts on my record coming out at end of February were
done on standard Richter tunings.  I played one piece on a hybrid major
(inhale) and minor (exhale) tuning, and that piece simply could not have
been done with the same feeling on a standard tuning.  A standard tuning
wouldn't have worked very well on a piece whose chord changes go from G
major to Eb major.  The hybrid tuning made it easy.

I think many people have consciously or otherwise accepted the limitations
of standard Richter.  You don't have to do that anymore.

Regards, RIchard Hunter

--
"The Lucky One" 21st century rock harmonica project at
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/richard-hunter-s-the-lucky-one/x/5259889#/