[Harp-L] Questions on Bending/OB/OD and Scales/Music/TAB

Steve Hayes bigbandrhythm@xxxxx
Sun Apr 23 21:42:49 EDT 2017

Many tongue-blockers pucker when bending. Try everything and do what is
comfortable.

                Harmonica TAB (1+ 2 2'', etc. as per music)
Yes, this is common with publishers and many teachers and has the advantage
of using ASCII characters and being compact on the page when annotating
written music.

Um,... Bending draw 5 may be considered bluesy or soulful by some, but you
won't be in tune with anybody else. There isn't a note there. If you are
going to bend something, bend in tune with something.

When I blow out a reed, it is usually because I'm trying to hit a note that
isn't there--this includes trying to draw bend 5, or trying to overblow hole
6 and mistakenly hitting hole 7 instead.

Which harp?
I lay my harps out in cycle of 4ths order..
A D G C F Bb Eb Ab Db F# B E
2nd position is the harp following the harp for 1st position (major or
minor). 3rd is next, then 4th, 5th, 6th. 12th is the one before 1st
position.

So, if I want to play in D or Dm, I would try a G harp in 2nd position, a C
harp in 3rd, an A harp in 12th, a D harp in 1st, etc.

You sound like you already play an instrument. To me this means the tones
are already in your head and you won't be just breathing in and out through
a harp hoping to get lucky and sound OK. I suspect you'll learn fast.

Have fun.