[Harp-L] Lee Oskar repairs/customisers

bad_hat@xxxxx bad_hat@xxxxx
Thu Apr 13 14:31:06 EDT 2017

The theory is that the reed profile of Lee Oskar harmonicas, narrower
and longer makes them prone to torsional oscillation.  The Tacoma
Narrows bridge failure is an example of torsional oscillation.  Google
Galloping Gertie for dramatic videos of the bridge in oscillation.  That
squeal you get when trying to overblow a Lee Oskar harmonica is likely
torsional oscillation.  There are fixes for this, James Antaki of Turbo
Harps fame used little tape flaps to damp the oscillation. Stephen
Schneider a formerly frequent contributor to this list had much success
refining the flaps implementation on Lee Oskar reeds.  That information
would be in the archives but I would not know how to tell you what to
search for.  I think maybe the flaps were called turbo tabs.

Someone who plays harmonica at a high level and uses Lee Oskars is Pat
Missin.  Pat also works on harmonicas and does customising.  If I were
looking for improvements in a Lee Oskar harmonica Pat is who I would
contact.  Pat Missin harmonica as a search will turn him up.  His
website is a spectacular treasure trove of harmonica knowledge.  Very
very plain, very very in depth.  More than you would think at first
glance.