[Harp-L] the odd messages, progress on that

owner-harp-l@xxxxx owner-harp-l@xxxxx
Sat Apr 1 09:06:59 EDT 2017

The subscribed addresses posting to the list telling you to click a link,
there have been several more now and  they're getting caught.  It's an
arms race and no doubt at some point we will have to up our game but today
so far we are having success with stopping these types of posts before
they get posted to the list.

The actual posts aren't really coming from subscribed addresses, the
addresses have been spoofed.  What we look for with incoming mail is a
match against our subscriber list. When someone's account gets hacked the
intruders steal the address book then target the addresses in it with
exploits like you saw last week.  The idea is you might click on the link
because you trust the sender.

So as always be suspicious of hinky looking links, don't click them if you
are uncertain.  Harp-l has been a going concern since October 2, 1992.
The internet has changed a lot since then browsers weren't even a thing
back then.  We will continue to do our best to keep up with the bad guys
and over the years we've done a pretty good job.  Doing the math it looks
like we'll be 25 this October, hard to believe.  harp-l-listowner