[Harp-L] Ross Garren, Sheriffs of Schroedingham

Slim Heilpern slim@xxxxx
Mon Sep 12 10:07:20 EDT 2016

I had the pleasure this weekend to listen to harmonica player Ross Garren's new album. Here's my mini-review:

"Going To The Sun", the new album by The Sheriffs of Schroedingham (Ross Garren & John Schroeder) exudes playful intelligence from front to back. It ebbs and flows ever so naturally like the tide, and is deliciously impossible to pigeonhole with respect to style as it moves seamlessly between what I would call nouveau old timey blues, funk, swing, acoustic electronica, and movie music.

From front porch pickin' to dance grooves to lush musical landscapes, this album is a fantastic musical journey with plenty of soul, humor, and sophistication along the way. Ross' work on various types of harmonicas is top flight and unique with wonderful tone and chops throughout, while John's slide/dobro/steel guitar work is a constant delight (also great chops!). The whole album is beautifully conceived and well produced -- a real treasure. These Sheriffs definitely deserve your ears!

Check it out here: https://thesheriffsofschroedingham.bandcamp.com/album/going-to-the-sun
and/or at their Patreon page here: https://www.patreon.com/schroedingham

- Slim