[Harp-L] Advice/tips for 1st blues jam?

Tin Lizzie TrackHarpL@xxxxx
Sun Oct 30 15:09:46 EDT 2016

Ah, jamming in the wild!  Good for you, ian!

One thing to know is that, typically, there’s a difference between a “jam” and an “open mic”.

With an open mic, you’re generally expected to show up as a soloist or duo or with your own band.  The bar will let you use their sound equipment, but you’re expected to play your own tunes as a self-contained act.

At a “blues jam”, at least the kind I like to frequent, you arrive, look around for The List, and write down your name and what instrument you play, typically while the house band (if there is one) plays the first set.  During the breaks, the host will compose bands on the fly:  “Okay, for the next set, we’ll have Sam on guitar and vocals, Billy on guitar, Mike on bass, Taylor on drums, and Lizzie on harp.”  The lingua franca that enables everyone to make music with musicians they may never have met before is the 12-bar blues progression, and/or a song that all or nearly all know.

But try not to feel entitled:  Just because it’s a blues jam doesn’t mean you'll get a nice, comfy, 12-bar blues every single time.  Roll with what you get, do your best, and be gracious about it.

The vocalist is the director for the set.  He or she gets to say what the song is, what key it’s in, and (usually) gives the count-off.  If the vocalist neglects to tell the harp player what key the song is in, it’s okay to ask.  Try to ask before people actually start playing.  It is really, really useful to acquire the skill of figuring out what key a song is in without being told, because that happens.

The etiquette is that everyone defers to the vocalist, and the vocalist, often via a nod or eye contact, will give everyone a turn to solo for a chorus, or two if the song is fast or the chemistry is good or the stars are aligned.  You’re expected to know when the chorus is compete and yield the floor back to the vocalist/band when your turn is over.  Watch the vocalist.  Never play harp when the vocalist is singing (unless you’re Joe Filisko and the vocalist is Eric Noden).

Three songs per ad-hoc band per set is typical.

People appreciate it if you can be fast about setting yourself up and fast to get out of the way, so the less gear you have and the less time you need for a sound check, the better.

Most people don’t want to hear all harmonica all the time.  (Sorry.)  You’ll win big points for artistic discretion.  You can not play at all for multiple choruses and no-one will mind, except maybe your mother if she comes out to hear you play that particular night.  When it’s your turn to solo, give it all you’ve got.  When it isn’t, go minimal.

Every jam is different.  If I have the luxury, I go and lurk the first time, just to get a feel for how the jam works, the better to mesh when I do sign up.  Now that I’m such an old pro (arf), I might take my harps and lurk for the first  *set*, and then add my name to the list if it feels right.

Tip the bartender or server generously, even if you only order club soda, and if the band has a tip bucket, tip the band, too.

Remember to look out at the audience and smile.  Show them a good time.  :-)

Tin Lizzie