[Harp-L] Subject: Reed swappers...

Richard Sleigh rrsleigh@xxxxx
Sat Oct 29 09:26:51 EDT 2016

Hi Robert,

In answer to your question on when to give up replacing reeds:

If you have put a lot of time into making a harp respond the way you want it to, there is really no limit to the number of reeds you could replace.

When you replace a reed, you have a chance to put in a better reed more carefully.

The only times I have given up on a reed plate is when it is something I built years ago with techniques that I can’t easily upgrade to current standards.  At that point it’s more satisfying to start over with new reed plates and state of the art techniques. I’ve also given up on harps that have sots butchered by someone doing clumsy reed replacements. This is really critical if slots are embossed. I’ve seen a lot of my work destroyed over the years by bad repairs.

I have harps that have more than 10 reed replacements. As long as you do the work right there is no reason it can’t be like replacing guitar strings. An endless process of maintaining a great instrument.

Richard Sleigh
PO Box 23
Boalsburg PA 16827

rrsleigh at xxxxx