[Harp-L] Loop machines

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Sun Oct 23 09:06:46 EDT 2016

Loopers start at about $100 for a device that allows you to layer up
multiple lines on a single track.  For more money, you can buy loopers that
allow you to run two or more simultaneous tracks of the same or different
lengths.  My Pigtronix Infinity looper lets me set the length of track two
to multiples of track one, so I can do a 1-measure beatboxed rhythm and
couple it with a 4-bar bass loop.  That kind of stuff is more
expensive--the Pigtronix runs about $400. I see that the Ditto now comes in
an X4 version for $159 that gives you two independent stereo tracks, which
is a pretty good deal for a looper with that much flexibility and dedicated
footswitches.

It's important to ask what you want to do with the thing.  If you plan to
use it to accompany you for solo performances onstage, you may want a
looper that lets you load pre-recorded backing tracks, which also implies
that it uses SD cards for additional onboard storage.  Digitech's JamMan
loopers are good for that, but you may find the ergonomics--in particular,
the way it stops loops--to be less than ideal.  Dedicated start/stop
footswitches are tops for ergonomics in my opinion.

I would absolutely recommend that any looper you buy include a USB
connection so you can save and load loops to and from your computer.  A
looper is a terrific tool for developing new sounds and riffs, and that's
even more useful when you can save the loops you create.

The current crop of loopers sound good and are less expensive than at any
time in my memory, so don't worry a lot about your choice,  Think about the
features you want--how many tracks, what kinds of controls, how much
storage, USB connection, etc.--and buy accordingly.

Regards, Richard Hunter

--
"The Lucky One" 21st century rock harmonica project at
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/richard-hunter-s-the-lucky-one/x/5259889#/