[Harp-L] contact pickup for racked harmonica?

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Tue Nov 22 15:59:04 EST 2016

I applaud the video on the $5 mic as much for the type of creative thinking involved as for this particular design.

It is best to allow some openings for ventilation.  If it is too tightly sealed,  breath moisture can condense inside.

Electret lapel mics (<$20) work well for this type of application because they are tiny and easily incorporated into any design. Electrets are used in pickups costing hundreds of dollars.
If you order one, make sure it includes a battery for powering the electret.  See:
https://www.amazon.com/Vidpro-Lavalier-Condenser-Microphone-Camcorders/dp/B00PQYMFU8/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479846667&sr=sr-1&keywords=vidpro+lavalier+mic <https://www.amazon.com/Vidpro-Lavalier-Condenser-Microphone-Camcorders/dp/B00PQYMFU8/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479846667&sr=sr-1&keywords=vidpro+lavalier+mic>

Neil Adler introduced me to an extremely useful material, Worbla plastic sheet.
https://www.amazon.com/Worblas-39-37x29-52-Cosplay-Thermoplastic-Material/dp/B00C1CZE0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479846122&sr=8-1&keywords=worbla <https://www.amazon.com/Worblas-39-37x29-52-Cosplay-Thermoplastic-Material/dp/B00C1CZE0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479846122&sr=8-1&keywords=worbla>
 I used it to make a mike enclosure for my Hands-Free-Chromatic rack.  You warm it up with a heat gun and form it into almost any desired shape.

If you are not handy with tools, a Strnad or Tsunami (which looks like the same thing) for <$100 would probably work for you.
https://goldharps.com/audio/microphones/tsunami-diatonic-harmonica-microphone.html <https://goldharps.com/audio/microphones/tsunami-diatonic-harmonica-microphone.html>

Vern