[Harp-L] contact pickup for racked harmonica?

Harping On harping.onandon@xxxxx
Tue Nov 22 13:17:48 EST 2016

Hi Hannes

I've played around a little with the cheap contact mics. This is the type I bought on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Guitar-Contact-Pickup-Sensor/dp/B0077DDS5W

Here is a simple short sample of my  finger picked nylon guitar with the clipon on harmonica on the rack.

https://app.box.com/s/6zbp5rgrzhtj7fgvcaf9ffd06pxuf00i

I was using it hand held initially attaching the clipon directly to the back edge of the top and bottom cover plates
so as to keep it away from contact with my lips. It was a bit sensitive to hand movement but once you gripped
the harp firmly it was ok. Here are some sound clips.

I turned the treble down on my small solid state 5w guitar amp as the sound is a bit too edgy otherwise.

Here is a sample first played cupped then uncupped.

https://app.box.com/s/o90g5zxa56t07nuj5y1m5ojtoq60wa6w

I also considered trying to get a cupped rack sound by attaching a piece of waste pipe plastic tubing to the rear
of the harp with a contact mic taped in place inside the tube. Here is a video by Isaac Cullah where this method
is demonstrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt-emjO5iv0

Hope this helps

Grey Owl You tube:- https://www.youtube.com/c/greyowlharmonica