[Harp-L] harp grip

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Sun Nov 13 21:06:03 EST 2016

 Some types of SS are magnetic and some are not.
Wikipedia says: "Ferritic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_(iron)> and martensitic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martensitic_stainless_steel> stainless steels are magnetic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(electromagnetism)#Values_for_some_common_materials>. Annealed austenitic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austenitic_stainless_steel> stainless steels are non-magnetic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(electromagnetism)#Values_for_some_common_materials>. Work hardening <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_hardening> can make austenitic stainless steels slightly magnetic.”

 I believe that Seydel SS reeds are magnetic..  Did not Antaki experiment with a slide that changed the pitch of SS reeds with magnets?  However, magnets at the ends of the comb may be far enough away not to affect the pitch of SS reeds.  The strength of a magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance to the magnet.  (Double the distance and the strength decreases to 1/4.) You can verify this by using various thicknesses of paper under refrigerator magnets.

Vern