[Harp-L] Norton Buffalo - Nobody Wants Me - YouTube

Rick Dempster rickdempster33@xxxxx
Mon Nov 7 04:13:15 EST 2016

Yeah, Norton was somewhat left-of-field for a harp man. Good singing, and
use of the harp
in an unusual stylistic setting, just what the instrument cries out for, if
it is to survive.
All the great ideas for new kinds of harps cannot possibly progress or even
continue
unless there is enough interest in something outside of pentatonic blues
(and don't get me wrong
on that 'cause that's where I started out and is the home base of the
instrument - at least the diatonic)
Yes, there are people doing 'amazing' things on the harp, both diatonic and
chrom., but 'amazing' technical prowess
is not enough.
The harp is at a low ebb in terms of popularity as far as I can see.
It's either amped up blues-rock or 'modern' jazz.
It is barely heard in any current popular music - certainly not
'mainstream' commercial - and not even
in forms calling themselves 'alternative'.
RD