[Harp-L] [harp-L] Gaskets

Joseph Leone 3n037@xxxxx
Sun Nov 6 14:42:49 EST 2016

> On Nov 6, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Richard Hunter <rhunter377 at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Joe Leone said:
>
> "Don?t think gaskets are necessary on diatonics. Chromatics? Yes. Sometimes
> gaskets can help on wood combs."
>
> Necessary or not, I repeat: micropore gaskets made my Lee Oskars louder and
> more responsive.  For a while it was my standard operating procedure to put
> gaskets in every Lee Oskar I owned.

I couldn’t dispute that ‘Super Richard the tone Hunter’. I have absolutely NO experience with Lee Oskars. I have played spl-20s since their inception
and never noticed a problem with them. Perhaps gaskets would have improved them. But if I ever needed more volume, I would defer to the mike.
As for Oskars, the one and only one that I have seems to be TOO good. I is tight and hard for me to control the bends I do use.

>  I stopped because--like I said in my
> collected lots of junk, and it was difficult to clean up.

I have used construction paper. It is (basically) that stuff that kids use for refridgerator art. Like thin blotter paper. Fuzzy texture. And when compressed
onto a wooden comb, it seems to choke up slight descrepencies in the combs. I wet it.

> If that problem went away, I'd go right back to putting gaskets on the LOs.

I agree. There is more work than they are worth..on a chromatic. Not too much on a diatonic..where making the cut outs are fast. I find more results in
making gaskets for the FACE of the comb. Where the combseal metal strip can leak. Brendan “Tower of Power” seems to have cured that particular
issue with his: ‘Sealed to the comb’ models.  I have been using gaskets there for over 60 years. OR for small light sources shining through the parts,
I have used simple white glue (Elmer’s desk glue) and run an infinitesimally small bead on the seams and wiped them in with a wet ‘fingie’.

So, in conclusion, diatonics are easy to work on. One can cut their own comb from almost anything with a hacksaw, coping saw, some files, sand paper.
And they don’t have the myriad mouth piece parts..ALL of which can leak.

> Never tried a gasket on any other make and model, so I have no comment on
> whether or not gaskets would help or hinder those.

As I said, gaskets are good IF you have leakage. I currently have 21 chromatics. Only 2 needed gaskets. Both wood combs. I also have 21 diatonics.
Only 1 has gaskets. The plates were put on a custom comb and the installation didn’t work. I put the plates back on the original comb and had to use
  gaskets. Apparently the plates had been warped? These are the trials and tribulations of an itinerate side man. lolol.

smokey-joe
the 4M company (Mars machine metallurgy & manufacturing, P.O. box 777, Mars, Pa.)
Author: Crossbows (the kitchen table workshop)