[Harp-L] What key is the band in?

Joseph Leone 3n037@xxxxx
Fri Nov 4 14:15:50 EDT 2016

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 8:29 AM, Tin Lizzie <TrackHarpL at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> I also find that different people respond to different vocabulary.  Sometimes I find it helpful to ask, “What key is the SONG in?”  Some people (one jam host was a trumpet player in a prior life) are pleased to be asked to clarify, “CONCERT G?”

I played trumpet and that’s what I would have said too.

> I remember one night when there was a very new harmonica player in attendance, and all he had with him was a G harp.  He only wanted to play one song, and it made sense to just have him up to play when it was my turn.  The ad-hoc band members, who really only wanted to be helpful (and with whom I was acquainted, if not close), were trying to communicate in terms of cross-harp, but let’s just say they were a little uncertain of the facts.  After a bit of hubbub, I finally turned to the whole band, smiled, and said, “Arnold is here with a G harmonica.  He will be playing in the key of Concert D-as-in-Dog.  Other members of the band are requested to play in the key of Concert D, also.  Thank you.”  Everyone got it, the song went well, and a good time was had by all.

Perfect.

> Admittedly, this kind of speech is easier to make and is more well-received if you’ve supported the jam for a while and are at least something of a known quantity to the regulars.  Usually I’m not so bossy.

I wouldn’t call that bossy..just well informed. AND an experienced jam attendee, sit in musician, side man/woman. AND I have heard you play.

>  But when the situation calls for it, speaking with confidence and authority makes everyone feel more secure.

That’s what I would call it. Confidence. And, oh, BTW, anyone who would give you the ‘woodjie eye’ for asking for OR calling OUT a key, really needs to put on their big boy pants. And get real.

smokey-joe