[Harp-L] What key is the band in?

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Wed Nov 2 07:49:06 EDT 2016

A chromatic harmonica has every note a keyboard has.  The C and the B harp
also has every note without bending by playing the do re mi fa so la ti do
scale starting on 4 blow on each harp.

Learn the names of the notes in either the chromatic or these two harps.
Play one note at a time as the band plays the song.  Decide if any note
sounds like it could possibly be the key.  Narrow 12 notes down to 6.  Then
take two notes of the six and fight to the finish.  There can only be one
note between them.  Then, take the victor of that battle and pit it against
another of the six notes.  Battle all the notes until there is only one
note to rule them all!

For example, after playing all 12 notes,  C, D, Eb, G, A and Bb are
possible key notes.

Now play C and D.  Which sounds better?  C!  Goodbye D, better luck next
time.

Now C against Eb.  Eb wins!

Eb against G.  Eb holds strong!

Eb against A.  Nope.  Definitely A.  You had a good run, Eb.

A against Bb.

It's A!

Another method is ear training.  Buy a keyboard.  Learn arpeggios and sing
them in all their voicings in every key using either scale numbers or
solfege.  Sing root notes to every other scale tones higher and lower.

I do not have perfect pitch my my relative pitch is generally at the place
where if I play one note,  I know the key in relation to it.
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com