[Harp-L] Stevie Wonder's sound

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Mon May 23 11:11:36 EDT 2016

Except that it isn't passive at all. Try actually sounding like Tommy Reilly and recording yourself. Compare your sound to his and you'll start to see what I mean. There's considerable artistry in how he brings the music to life through the harmonica. Just because he isn't bending notes doesn't mean he's playing passively.
I have heard the truly passive sound, and it was something of a revelation.
After Henry Mancini died, I happened to see a TV show where a military band played a tribute medley to him. When it came to "Moon River," someone in the band pulled out a chromatic harmonica to play that part. He played it competently - the notes were there, played cleanly. But it sounded mechanical - the player wasn't breathing life into the reeds, only air. He may have been a trumpet or flute player who was tasked with figuring out how to play chromatic enough to cover this specific requirement. He made the notes come out, but that's all he did - he didn't really inhabit the sound of the instrument. That, to me, is the passive sound.
Winslow Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.comInstructor, Jazzschool Community Music SchoolPresident emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica

      From: Rick Dempster <rickdempster33 at gmail.com>
 To: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa at yahoo.com>
Cc: Sheltraw <macaroni9999 at gmail.com>; "harp-l at harp-l.com" <harp-l at harp-l.com>
 Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2016 8:25 PM
 Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Stevie Wonder's sound

'Passive' wasn't meant to sound critical Winslow, though I know what you mean.Compared to 'jazz' or some pop players, a 'classical' player like Tommy Reilly has, to my ears,what I would call a 'passive' sound. More like a keyboard instrument.I actually prefer Tommy's sound for 'classical' (I use the term loosely)to Larry Adler's much more active attack on the reeds.RD