[Harp-L] Comb Materials: the Perfect Test Harmonica?

Joe Spiers harpwrench@xxxxx
Fri May 13 10:05:29 EDT 2016

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. When I tune a set of MB plates on a pearwood comb, putting them on a Corian comb makes them 2 cents sharp, every time. I've read a couple accounts from others mentioning brass having an even greater effect on that. To me it's a smoking gun that *something* is going on. Maybe someone smarter than me can comment on why, and how higher overtones might be affected along with it. This isn't an endorsement that whatever's going on is desirable, I prefer pearwood MBs and stock combs on sp20's on my customs.
http://www.spiersharmonicas.com