[Harp-L] Re: Testing comb materials

Steve IMAP steve@xxxxx
Fri May 13 04:37:01 EDT 2016

> On 13 May 2016, at 01:03, Robert Hale <robert at dukeofwail.com> wrote:
>
> sorry you are tired of the discussion.
> Are MB Deluxe and Crossover identical in every way except comb material? (Isolating one variable) and are they identically cut?
Cover and reed plate design is identical in both models apart from the fine tuning and cover embossings. These factors are not likely to affect sound.
> Can you affirm there was no "leading" of expectations, no preconditioning by your words or tone of voice, that they sounded different?
No, but I'd have to be a pretty good hypnotist to convince that many people ;-)
> Can listeners identify one out of a line up with back turned? (AAAABAAAA) with better than 50% chance?
It wasn't my intention to prove anything. I hear a difference and so do quite a few other people. As I wrote, the difference is not large.
> What words do listeners use to describe the difference they hear?
They agreed that bamboo sounds slightly brighter than pearwood.

> Does bamboo cost Hohner less than pearwood?

No