[Harp-L] Comb Materials: the Perfect Test Harmonica?

Sheltraw macaroni9999@xxxxx
Fri May 13 03:21:56 EDT 2016

Hmm. I don't know what to think about these wedges since I haven't seen them but one should keep in mind the following. Sound reflection occurs at boundaries of materials with different acoustic impedances. Acoustic impedance of a material depends upon the density of the material and speed of sound in that material.

The wedges could simply create such boundaries and produce reflection of sound rather than allow one to make any assessment of the materials properties as a comb material.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 12, 2016, at 10:09 PM, Vern <jevern at fea.net> wrote:
>
> This could also be a practical case where skepticism about the materials effect could save you
> the purchase price of such an absurdity.
>
> Vern
>
>> On May 12, 2016, at 4:48 PM, Bob Laughton <bob at pacific.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 12, 2016 1:13 am, Brendan Power wrote:
>>
>>> Richard Weiss, Hohner's product manager, has patented a very interesting
>>> chromatic harmonica comb that I understand will be released by Hohner
>>> sometime soon.
>>> [...]
>>> 2. Different comb materials can be inserted in wedge-shaped blocks