[Harp-L] Subject: Re: The 'newest' Stradivarius of harmonicas!

EGS1217@xxxxx EGS1217@xxxxx
Mon May 9 14:17:33 EDT 2016

IF, as I  suspect--the creator of this new chromatic might be Phil Sardo
(of the  Sardo Brothers) --long time chromatic players who attend SPAH
regularly and are  extremely well thought of--really good players as well as super
nice guys (who  spend hours every year conducting mostly unheralded Lobby
jams where everyone is  welcome), then I'd think this new chromatic could be
thought of just a wee bit  more charitably by some here instead of subjected
to immediate denigration.

And IF Phil  created this chromatic I'd guess it might possibly be
available for  perusal at SPAH, perhaps?My question is why the immediate  dismissal
out-of-hand without seeing or playing the instrument, as some here  seem so
eager to do, YET so many happily forked over thousands for  what were then
unknown Suzuki chromatics just a few years  back?

As far as the  'tests' are concerned, none were conducted under strict
laboratory conditions  --something I suggested long ago, only to have my
suggestion scoffed  at and dismissed. Afaik these tests were held in a hotel room
at SPAH,  hardly the best acoustical space. My long-term suggestion was  -
instead of  wagering $1,000 - use it instead to hire an audiologist and an
independent lab;  taking it out of the hands of all interested parties, and to
pre-test the  'audience' who would describe any differences to ensure
whether or not they had  equal/excellent hearing. By now we should all be aware
that many people exhibit  varying degrees of hearing loss and can miss sounds
under certain levels, while  others have super-sharp hearing. Were the
'judges' tested to see into which  category they fell? If not, then any such
informal 'test' fails.

jmho

Elizabeth
PS: Chris  Michalek wrote a dissenting post after his participation in one
of these tests.  Unfortunately he's passed on so can no longer comment, but
I'm sure his   post(s) on the subject are available in the archives
-possibly sometime after  SPAH 2009?