[Harp-L] The "newest" Stradivarius of Harmonicas!

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Sat May 7 14:53:07 EDT 2016

IF the listeners have any way of knowing what comb material is being played, or if the statistical sample is small, then the comparison is meaningless.

In three separate comparisons at SPAH over a number of years, listeners and players could not distinguish among comb materials as different as brass and balsa wood.  In all of the tests, players and listeners thought that they heard different sounds when the same harmonica was played several times in succession.  Great pains were taken to keep the comparison blind and to eliminate spurious variables, but to give listeners a fair opportunity to demonstrate their ability to distinguish among comb materials.

Some complained about the conditions of the tests AFTER the results were known.  Among about 100 participants in these tests, not one has done better than random guessing.  Some participants claimed that they heard differences even when their recorded choices indicated otherwise.  Some attended the test and said that they heard differences but declined to participate by recording their choices.  Almost everyone claims to hear differences.  So far, no one has been able to demonstrate that ability under controlled conditions. Materials effects are a cherished myth.

You may be a challenger in my years-old offer of a $1000 wager.  You win or lose the grand if you can or can’t distinguish between any two comb materials of your choice in a blind comparison..  Putting one’s money where one’s mouth is brings wonderful clarity to this question.  There have been no challengers in the 15 years that the challenge has been open.  There is no moral question because it is not gambling. If you really can recognize materials by their sound, it is merely taking my cheerfully-paid money and shutting me up. It would worth $1000 to me to learn that I am wrong.

Your notion that tone can be different for the player but not the audience seems strange to me.  If the audience can’t tell the difference, why does it matter?  IF the tone is affected by comb material, that is the same whether you are playing and listening or only listening.

Vern