[Harp-L] Amplification for clean chromatic sound

I use an elecret 'tie clip' mic cupped in the hand - these mics usually sound very clean.  Couple of things:

1)  Get a unidirectional mic - plenty available on ebay.  This is because, with a loud band,  I had loadsa feedback problems with an omnidirectional mic.

2) Because I often had the problem that I couldn't hear myself over a loud band in small venues I built a simple clip on belt-box that contains a small mono preamp and small amp -  powered by a 9v battery.  Bought these components from Maplins as I live in the UK -but I notice the same components on ebay.  The preamp feeds a jack socket for a PA (or in my case a radio guitar bug allowing me to be totally cable free) via a volume control and has a tap to the amp which feeds a mono earpiece (plenty on the net) via a volume control. Both volume controls are simple potentiometers.

The belt-box is 6x3x1.5ins.I therefore have a mic setup and personal monitor both with separate volume controls that allows me to move freely on the stage.

Note that the amps are single encasulated components - no assembly required.  The only work was soldering, so any one with this skill could make it or easily get an electronics tech to put one together.

Hope this helps
Lew

---