[Harp-L] B-Radical; HARMONIKAS Louny

There has been lots said on the B-Radical over the years, and it's true Brad
Harrison would have been better off following Vern's excellent template for
growing a successful business from scratch.

But as someone who tries to do new stuff with the harmonica I have a lot of
respect for Brad's ambition, and what he achieved technically. Richard
Sleigh sent me a B-Radical and I've had a close look under the microscope.
The reeds and reedplates are VERY innovative. Looks like he was using Wire
EDM to cut the plates, and the reeds are beautifully milled lengthways. Both
are excellent uses of modern technology.

Wire EDM is already used to cut high-end accordion reedplates; you can see
it in this excellent video from the respected Czech accordion reed maker
HARMONIKAS:

http://www.harmonikas.cz/en/video-1#obsah

Wire EDM is very accurate but slow so will probably not replace stamping for
mass production for a while yet. HARMONIKAS does stamping for most of their
production.

Incidentally this is the company that makes the reedplates and steel reeds
for Seydel. They are just over the border from Klingenthal; you can see a
photo of the Seydel plates here:

http://www.harmonikas.cz/en/other-production/job-order-pressing#obsah

Cheers,

Brendan