Re: [Harp-L] widening out/opening up the backs of harps

Rick Dempster wrote:

I agree, no difference worth noticing; but what, for example, Joe Spiers
does makes the plates stronger,
so my 'pocket' harp does much better with this particular mod.
RD

I have to disagree here, Rick. stock SP20 cover plates are significantly stronger than "opened" plates for two reasons.

First, from a vector mechanics (physics) viewpoint, the vertical component of the right angle flange at the back of the harp contains a lot more metal to resist vertical downward force (or upward on the bottom plate) than opened plates do. This is the same concept that engineers apply in their use of structural I beams.

That vertical part of stock cover plates also contain struts that help stabilize the cover plates. When you open the back you flatten those struts out.

The comb's plastic struts support the center of the cover plates but the other two mechanisms for resisting downward forces are gone when you flatten those vertical flanges.

But, it does look cool. 8^)

Michelle