Re: [Harp-L] widening out/opening up the backs of harps

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Peter Beck <kpfbeck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> widened out the backs of a bunch of Special 20s

âI haven't found the result to be worth the work to open the backs of harp
covers.
I consider gapping, embossing, and arcing more worthwhile than flared
covers.

NEAR
There are some variations of sound heard by the player in close proximity
to the reeds. Since it is a personal experience, one may choose to pursue
the modification.

FAR
I don't think the audience, and most players, can distinguish open to
closed back harp on stage.

To evaluate what a microphone picks up, and delivers to an audience, either
live thru the PA or recorded medium, we would need to test only ONE
variable: the open to closed back of ONE model harp.Other variables among
harps are reed composition / design, comb, choice of mic, and EQ in the
chain. Again, if the A/B difference is significant to the player it can be
done.

So I place the topic down the list of important activities. Best use of my
time is practice and performance.

Robert Hale
Serious Honkage in Arizona
youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL