[Harp-L] B-Radical -- why is it great?

Vern:  Excellent assessment.  Like many, I watched the birth, struggle for
life and ultimate death of Harrison Harmonicas with great interest.
Indeed, it was a textbook example of "How Not to Start a Business".  I
don't know whether or not it was a "Con Job".  That would imply a willful
intent to defraud.  All the other information you present indicates
incompetence.  Perhaps desperation led to something other than that as the
situation digressed.  That said, I would not know Brad Harrison if he was
standing in front of me so I can't speak for what his intentions were.
Additionally, at least some of your opinions are based upon your
observations of the photos and details on his website and you are certainly
well known for having an eye for detail. So perhaps your instincts were
right.

As for the playability of the B-Radicals, I have played a couple.  I have
repaired the same one twice so in spite of the longitudinally milled reeds,
they can and will fail.  Harrison's goal was to make "Out of the Box" harps
that were as good as custom harmonicas. That was a bit of a stretch.  I
have personally spoken with a few prominent customizers who were setting up
the reed plates for Harrison.  OOTB implies that the harps would play great
because of superior design, closer tolerances and better execution.   In
reality, B-Radicals were/are good playing harps because the reed plates
were being customized by some very competent reedsmiths.  A more accurate
description would have been "Ready-Made Custom Harps" that could have been
shipped immediately as opposed to custom harps that are built to order and
could take some months to be delivered.  That is, assuming that they would
have followed Vern's advice as detailed below.

Vern is absolutely correct that the manufacture of reed plates is pretty
much "The holy Grail".  I've been making custom combs for over five years.
That is relative child's play compared to making reed plates.  Cover plates
are next.  I don't see them as being that big of a challenge.  Reed plates
too, in and of themselves, are not complex.  However, the machinery needed
to manufacture them is expensive and is a barrier to to entry for most.  As
one who is inexorably moving in that direction and building my business one
piece at a time I hope that Vern's formula for success is right on because
it is pretty much what I am doing.

*âTom Halchak*
*Blue Moon Harmonicas LLC*
*P.O. Box 14401 Clearwater, FL 33766*