[Harp-L] Helpful Info for New & Intermediate Players

jon kip jon@xxxxx
Wed Jul 13 23:09:41 EDT 2016

This discussion takes for granted that, if one buys a chromatic harmonica, the desire to learn it is assumed to be present, at least for a time, ...for some, not for long...it's a difficult instrument to learn,and yes, having played another instrument is a great start.

I'm not sure of your point here, Gary....Guess I'll have to drive down to San Diego to make my point in person and give your dog a second chance at biting me.

Again, I assume the desire is there , otherwise just take the easy route to becoming a musician and learn to play oboe....

no, wait, I'll have to rethink that one....

Nobody says that one has to have the goal of Musical Mastery, few achieve that goal,  but if you do  have desires in that direction, you'll find a way. And every time you tell yourself "well, I'd LIKE to....BUT (fill in the blank with reasons you can't)"  it bears investigation.

Nobody says that one can't have a lot of fun just "playing at" the instrument....that's a totally valid goal, and was the Original Purpose of making 'music' banging on rocks to attract cave women into your clutches.......and, as Greg pointed out, the harmonica has lots of stuff it can do without much Hard Work...

When the Fun becomes Work, one has to make choices , and there's no right answer that fits everyone.

Probably only some of this makes sense, but it's dinner time...

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 7:31 PM, Gary Lehmann <gnarlyheman at xxxxx> wrote:
>

> My buddy Jon Kip <jon at xxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
> There's no reason that one can't study chromatic harmonica the way people study More Expensive Instruments....oh, yeah, it's hard to find a qualified teacher, there is that.  And, how does a new player have the discernment to pick a qualified teacher?
>
> It's difficult. For learning Jazz on the instrument, one idea that I think has potential, is to study the instrument with a qualified player-teacher, and then study jazz with someone who does not play chromatic harmonica. That way, the student (as all of us are) is not held back by any perceived "limits" to the instrument, based on what issues the teacher has on his/her own playing.
> <end text>
>
> Well, money, for one. And time. Lastly, desire.
>
> Lessons wind up costing more than the instrument; trust me, I know; I teach.
>
> And adults (who are more likely to take up the More Expensive Harmonica) have less time.
>
> Finally, what is the goal? Mastery of an instrument is swell, but frankly, good luck. This one is a bear.
>
> I feel that chromatic harmonica is much easier if you already play another instrument well, preferably a chordal instrument.
>
> See you (not you, Jon) at SPAH (oh heck, Jon, come to San Antone, I hear it’s lovely this time of year)
>
> Gary

jon kip
jon at xxxxx