[Harp-L] 6 draw flatted

Bigmouthhorns bigmouthhorns@xxxxx
Sun Jul 10 13:57:30 EDT 2016

Bravo Richard.  Then there's the the whole rhythm side of theory.. knowing how to subdivide, etc and play in odd meters.  There are exceptions to every rule, I played with a bassist in DC for a while that came here from W. Africa with very little theory background however, he was put on this earth to play.  He was the last bassist I would call for a fake book gig, however 10 years later he's played every jazz club in the world and has been on stage with Randy Brecker, Jeff Lorber, etc.  and obviously has received some OJT(on the job theory) along the way.
On the other hand, having a formal background, I play with guys that can sightread bird droppings as the splatter on manuscript paper.
The best players I know have it all.  They're also smart, meaning they could have become doctors, but chose music.
The beautiful thing with music is there are a lot of approaches and depending on how your wired, how much time you have and what you want to do with it, some are better than others.
If you're 60 and want to learn to play some blues harmonica you probably better off listening to players you like and trying to emulate as opposed to trying to understand the endless chord inversions and substitutions for blues progressions.
If you're 10 and want to be the next Howard Levy, get your ass in a theory class.

Jordan