[Harp-L] 6 draw flatted

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Fri Jul 8 21:49:16 EDT 2016

You can ignore or “disdain" any rules when composing.  Write anything that sounds good to you.  If others agree, so much the better.

However, if you constrain your writing to the western tonal-harmony genres, there are rules for how to use non-chordal tones. In your example, F is a non-chordal tone to an E chord (E, G#, B).  A prolonged half-tone interval is perceived by many as unpleasant. Play E & F on your piano and see if you like the sound. The tritone or “devil’s interval” (e.g. F - B) is also generally regarded as unpleasant.  Play that on your piano also and see how you like it.

In general, non-chordal tones are used on short, unaccented notes as transitions between chordal tones.  There is a huge amount of information on the internet on the subject.  See:
http://www.davesmey.com/brooklynconservatory/wednesday/h04nonchordtones.pdf <http://www.davesmey.com/brooklynconservatory/wednesday/h04nonchordtones.pdf>

Vern