Secrets for beginners (was Re: [Harp-L] RE: Harp-L Digest, Vol 149, Issue 7)

Well, here's something for you, Billy, and welcome to the list.
First thing, edit your posts down, that sucker was huge--516 lines, and 4
embedded videos!
Now, the good stuff. This is good information for all players, but every
beginner should know this upfront.

Only half of the sound you make on the harmonica comes from the instrument.
The other half is you, the resonating body you call Billy (or in my case,
Gnarly).
It's the size and shape of your mouth, as well as the column of air going
down the center of your body.
So when you play a note, you can make it different, not just louder or
softer, but deeper or more urgent, with your body.
Try it and see what you can do--all you have to do is listen while you
play, and change stuff. Don't worry about the notes, just play with the
sound.
That's all for now, and frankly, that is the coolest thing about the
harmonica.
Gary