[Harp-L] How important is it to be able to read music?ADDED BIT

jon kip jon@xxxxx
Wed Dec 28 16:54:15 EST 2016

So, Vern, after I wrote that response I gave it some thought, and want to clarify one thing:

"Reading Ahead", is important in some cases, and not in others.

While sight reading, sure, that's an important plus, being aware of what's coming up....for instance, if you look ahead and see that a certain set of fingerings for an upcoming phrase would be better than another , less workable, set of fingerings, then  reading ahead is very helpful.

Once that phrase has been learned, reading ahead isn't as crucial. For me, in my silly line of (what used to be) work, I had to read ahead, see and decide about any fingering "disputes /options " , turn pages, see if I had to switch to flute from clarinet or oboe, *while turning pages) be sure the oboe reeds were wet and ready, and hadn't fallen onto the floor, and keep playing coherently the whole time.

That's not music. It's a living, and , as Tommy Morgan says "it's Survival"...

Forcing yourself to "read ahead" might not be effective for your needs and goals. I'm suspecting that you don't need to concentrate on looking ahead.....could be wrong...

I hope that doesn't further muddy whatever waters are left.