[Harp-L] Reading or playing by ear.

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Tue Dec 20 20:20:30 EST 2016

The idea that readers are not as musical or expressive as ear players may have arisen from listening to someone like me reading through a piece for the first time.  It is halting and awkward because I’m not a fluent reader.  However, I can smooth it out with practice.

I can do something that a non-reader can’t.  I can learn a song that I haven’t heard performed.  I also find that reading makes it much easier to go back to a song that I haven’t performed in a while.

I play with a group in which some read and some don’t.  The non-readers often fail to hold the long notes for their full time value and find themselves a few beats ahead of the band.

Vern