[Harp-L] Playing in your head and reading music

Aongus Mac Cana amaccana@xxxxx
Mon Dec 19 06:27:17 EST 2016

I don't know if there are any Neuro-Scientists on this  list, but I am
fascinated by how you can get skills like driving, playing golf, reading and
playing music into the "automatic pilot" section of your "chip" .

In my mid fifties I made one of my best ever investments in time. I learned
how to touch type with a cheap computer program.

At an intermediate stage of my learning I could type memos to myself in my
head (even when driving the car - Dangerous!), visualising my fingers going
to the appropriate keys. What surprised me was that when I got better at it
I could not do this anymore. Now I only have the vaguest idea of where the
letters on the keyboard are. My fingers just seem to go there themselves.

When I retired I thought to myself: "Maybe I can do the same thing with
reading music". No such luck. I discovered that I am a pure ear player and
that I have no idea what note I am playing. I find harmonica tab useless and
ABC tab marginally better. I can read sheet music slowly like a Ladybird
Book. That is to  say I can figure out what notes the dots correspond to.
This is slightly useful in figuring out the bar I am having problems with.

I invested in a cheap electronic keyboard, because I heard that his was
where Howard Levy started and that he still visualises the keyboard even
when he is playing the harmonica. I never actually play the darned thing,
but I can visualise what key I should be hitting when I read the staff. When
bored while travelling along in the bus I sometimes play the scales in my
head.

Do these geriatric ramblings ring a bell with any of you guys?

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana