[Harp-L] mental practice

Sheltraw macaroni9999@xxxxx
Thu Dec 15 20:32:33 EST 2016

I am an ear player and I would estimate that 75% of my practice time is spent in "mental practice". By "ear player" I mean someone that plays what is their minds ear without having to think about what they are doing with their instrument. I am still getting better at doing this and I continue to be amazed that this can be done at all (It helps to use a so-called symmetrically tuned instrument).

There are two parts to becoming such an ear player:

(1) Playing automatically what is in your minds ear.

(2) Getting good stuff in your minds ear.

There comes a point at which most of an ear player's practice is spent doing (2). Note that (1) and (2) have a lot of interdependence. For example, you can't do (1) if you don't very clearly hear within your minds ear what is to be played.

Since I am primarily interested in improvisation I spend a lot of time scat singing out loud or with my inner voice (minds ear) and working on increasing my awareness of musical melody. I spend a lot of time creating interest phrases using chromaticism since this really challenges ones ear and increases my awareness of my musical choices.

Hope that helps!

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone