[Harp-L] Some questions on playing better....

Leonard Schwartzberg leonard1@xxxxx
Thu Dec 15 17:31:45 EST 2016

I'm a dedicated left-hander, but (I watch many others) hold the harmonica in
their left hand and use right hand just to create cupping(s).  Am I
backwards (for a lefty)?   Are there left handed harps?   Should I re-start
and re-learn everything or play this way?  Be that as it may, although I'm a
beginner/starting intermediate, I see many players placing their thumb over
(and blocking) the 9 and 10 holes.   Why?   How do they play the higher
range (or do they)?   Am I holding the harp wrong?   Secondly, I'm trying to
get a good sounding 2 hole shake with some speed and with clear notes.   I
find the deeper I have my lips over the harp, the easier it is to shake.   I
am also trying to tongue-block totally, even though often, it's easier to
pucker, I think in the long run, I'm better off TB, even with bends.
Tough to clearly TB and bend the 2 or 3 all the way down, and stop at each
note, but I think the more I practice, the more natural it will become.  By
the way, I'm 65, and really enjoy my harmonica.   I play Seydel Session
Steels.   Thanks for your input.

---