[Harp-L] Mick Jagger's harp playing on new Blue and Lonesome Harp-L Digest, Vol 160, Issue 11

Richard Hammersley rhhammersley@xxxxx
Sat Dec 10 08:45:38 EST 2016

Well
the discussions of Mick’s harp playing made me go back and listen to Blue and Lonesome for the 4th time. Yes the harp is a bit “pitchy”, as Tom Jones would say, on Blue and Lonesome but overall I like it because it sounds like Mick Jagger and fits in with the live vibe of the album, as well as its purpose of being “the Stones play the blues”. Not imitate the blues, or advance the genre, just play them. I like their choice of songs too.
   As to whether he practices enough, Mick is known to be a perfectionist who practices his singing and stage moves as part of his daily routine, so I would be surprised if he didn’t practice harp when the need arises. As a keen (but lazy) amateur I would be pleased to play harp live that well. And when was the last time a harp player had a number 1 album in the UK? Actually it was the Stones again with the re-release of Exile on Main Street in 2010.
  Hurray for harp!
Richard Hammersley