Re: [Harp-L] simulate horn section

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 6:06 PM, Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> And of course, the closer you get the artificial sound to the real one, the more important the articulations native to the real instrument become.  Sax players don't usually play the same licks, in the same ways, that harmonica players do. If you really want to sound like a sax, you have to study saxophonists. (Which of course is a very good thing to do.)

As usual, Richard has contributed to the conversation in a thoughtful and informative way. If I may, Iâd also like to add that if you want to create a horn section with harmonicas you should also pay special attention to arrangements. Spot on harmonies are absolutely essential to section work. Indeed, you could approximate a horn section without any electronics whatsoever with technique and intelligent arrangements. Itâs worth listening to the harmonica trios and larger ensembles of yesteryear to get an idea on how to make that work. Others on the list can provide listening suggestions.

Cheers,

-B