Re: [Harp-L] Recording Harmonica

Hi David -

Common studio engineering wisdom (especially if recording with modern digital equipment) is to use the best mic for the particular situation. Use the mic that sounds best with no eq or compression to begin with (so maybe not a condenser in this case). If youâre multi-tracking, compression and eq are best saved for mixdown. For tracks already recorded that exhibit the problem you describe, a multi-band compressor is probably the best solution, but if youâre not familiar with using multi-band compressors, they can be a bit intimidating.

By all means experiment with the Joe Meek compressor/preamp (I use one of these in my live setup), but again, go with the mic that works best without any help as a starting point.

Hope this helpsâ

- Slim.

www.SlimAndPenny.com