Re: [Harp-L] Double thickness reed plates? [getting long]

OK OK! But can anyone tell me why a
reed  played in reverse ie a bend, including 'overblows' (shudder)
plays a semitone higher than it's natural pitch?
When you reach the bottom of a conventional  bend,
the opposite reed takes over, and plays a semitone higher than its
natural pitch. Eg when you pull draw 1 down (on a C harp) the blow reed
(C) takes over, and plays C#.
When you try to blow bend hole 1, the draw reed plays a semitone higher -
Eb.
I suspect it is because when you send a breath from the rivet end to the
tip, the whole reed resonates,
but when you reverse the breath, so the reed vibrates from the tip down,
only a shorter part of the reed
responds.
I wish Vern could bend notes, then he, of all people, might be able to
solve this mystery.
C'mon Vern! Every Aussie bogan blooze harper can do it!
We need some answers!
RD
PS Richard Hunter? Is this your bag?