Re: [Harp-L] Double thickness reed plates? [getting long]

You can easily determine which reeds travel through the reedplate with the covers off.  Merely play each hole while feeling that hole with your finger.  You will notice the short reeds do not travel through while the longest reed extends quite a way through.  The only reed that can touch the cover is the longest draw reed ( hole 1).  There are two methods used to prevent the reed from contacting the cover. 1) MB 364 and Seydel Session low low F contour the covers to allow clearance and 2) Seydel 1847 low keys have a bulge stamped out over blow reed in hole 1.  Joe Filisko designed the bulge in his low tuned harmonicas several years ago.

Sent via Mini iPad 3