Re: [Harp-L] Counting to 13

Hi Lizzie,

I guess I should apologize for responding with jazz jargon as well?  :)

One key may be to playing these larger chords in the piano, where you can
see them stacked up.

==

But, on the harmonica, my suggestion would be to do something like this:

Create a backing track with a chord progression from a tune.

Something like:

| D-   | G7  | CM7   |

Play, with the track, all of the root notes:

D, G, C

when that is easy, play the thirds:

F, B, E

when that is easy, play the fifths:

A, D, G

and finally, play the 7ths:

C, F, B

That's the first level.

==

If you're able to do this without a problem, you can move on to the next
level.

The next level would be extensions and alterations, and here's where the
9th comes in.

Can you name (without playing) the 9th of each chord as the track is
playing?

If you need to think of the 2nd to get the note, that's ok, but then get
used to calling it the 9th, eventually.

E, A, D

Now play those notes with the track.

==

Alterations on the 9th.

Alterations are most commonly used over 7th chords that resolve to their I
tonic chord.

In this case, alterations would apply to the G7 chord, which resolves to C.

Therefore, we are going to alter the 9th degree of G7, by making it a b9.

Play the notes:

E Ab  D

Another alteration is the #9, which would give us:

E Bb  D

Play that with the track.

==

A key point is to decide what you're going to play before playing, and then
try to execute it by naming it, hearing it, and playing it.

Try this on a number of different progressions.  It's a good exercise for
the theory brain, but also as training to the ears so you start to
recognize the sounds.

Jason Rogers (AKA chespernevins)

...end jazz jargon...