Re: [Harp-L] Counting to 13

Hi Tin -

Not sure if this will help or confuse you further, but when youâre looking at scale numbers greater than 7, it means the chord is spanning more than one octave.

For instance, you will rarely here of a C2 chord, itâs always going to be C9. Basically (itâs actually more nuanced than this) C9 tells you that the 9th note of the scale is added to the chord. If you start on middle C, youâd be adding the D that follows the C one octave above middle C.

The nuance part is that when people write C9, the dominant 7th is implied as well. So the full chord in ascending order is: C E G Bb D, where the Bb is the dominant 7th and the D is the 9th. Itâs easiest to understand this with the aid of a keyboard.

Thereâs actually some good material on wikipedia, for instance, hereâs an article on the meaning of a 13th:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth>

Hope that helpsâ

- Slim.

www.SlimAndPenny.com <http://www.slimandpenny.com/>