Re: [Harp-L] John Coster, Hohner XB40's and SUB-30's

Hi, Tom.

I have a SUB30 that started out stock and was retrofitted with one of Brendan's early X-reed valve setups, which improved the harp but still didn't get it to where I felt it needed to be. I have also played Richard Sleigh's customized MB-30. Thanks for reminding me about your SUB30; I'd forgotten about that in the welter of other things that happened at the Harmonica Collective. Richard's (which took an insane amount of tweaking) was the best of the lot, but yours came surprisingly close.

I don't mean to put down the SUB30 for those who don't know or don't like the XB-40 - it may be a fine alternative for them, and if built well, would enrich the capabilities of a half-valved harp by giving full dual-reed sound to the valved bends, which I feel would be an improvement both in ease of playing and in richness of sound.
That said, for players who know how to get the most out of the XB-40 and are looking for those same capabilities, none of the SUB30's will deliver everything you're looking for. Here's my take:

1) The SUB30 has the advantage - for some folks, while I don't happen to care about this - of being the same size and shape as a standard 10-hole diatonic. The XB-40 is the same size as a 10-hole chromatic, and some players don't like that.

2) The XB-40 has far more bending abilities and more choice notes - different ways of getting the same note by using a different reed to get at a bend. For instance, on an XB-40 the note that you can get by bending Draw 7 down one semitone works much better by bending Blow 7 down two semitones,  and in some musical lines the 2-semitone bend in Blow 4 works better than the 1-semitone bend in Draw 3. These are only two of several examples of how the XB-40 gives you different ways to move through the harp. (Those two-semitone bends can also be exploited to play two-semitone trills, which can be useful for Swedish fiddle tunes.)

3) The XB-40 is LOUDER than any other diatonic for acoustic playing, as in Celtic sessions, where I and James Conway both use it. I can play an XB-40 and make myself heard among 50 fiddlers.

4) The XB-40 is extremely durable. I played one hard (see above) for three years before needing to replace a reed. I don't know whether you could do the same with a SUB30 or not.

John Coster is someone who uses and values the XB-40. If he's explored it as deeply as I have, he simply won't find the same capabilities in a SUB30. Maybe if he can't find XB-40s he can fin incomplete solace with the SUB30.

So, I'm sorry if my comments specifically to John as an XB-40 player might be off-putting to uninvolved bystanders.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica