Re: [Harp-L] very cool gig

Rick Dempster wrote:

Pity a few harp players don't try embracing this kind of material.
I'd call that "a blues", but I'm not sure that most 'blues harp' players
would see it as "The Blues".
Trouble is, you stick a harp player in this lineup and they immediately
want an amplifier, thus spoiling the whole thing.
You can do it on harp at low volume with a string band though. I'd say
we're talking "jug band", essentially,
like Gus Canon. Is there anyone doing that on harp these days that you know
of Mick?
Rick, I ain't Mick, but up in New York there's a band called "The WIYOs" that's fronted by the enormously talented Michael Farkas on vocals, harmonica, washboard, jug and kazoo amongst other like instruments. They play a mix of ragtime, jug band and old timey music. I love 'em and knowing what I know about you I bet you will, too (if they are new to you). Check 'em out:

https://youtu.be/St1Cf3BaCXU

Michelle