[Harp-L] Sinatra and harmonica

   I posted previously about a negative harmonica reference I found in the
new Frank Sinatra biography by James Kaplan.  I found one other interesting
harmonica item in the book.  The author mentions a disappointing recording
session partially "redeemed by the weirdly wonderful "This Town"---the
closest thing to a straight-up blues Sinatra ever recorded, complete with
wailing harmonica...."
   Listening to the track (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxSRxwx581k), it
definitely cooks but the harmonica stuff is pretty pedestrian.  How much
better would it have been if they had used a guy Sinatra had worked with
before, Danny Welton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn-nfSr0n_Y?  Or
brought in Charlie McCoy, who did a nice job on a blues with Elvis Presley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Q6OlKHywA.  Or if George "Harmonica"
Smith had been nearby.  Definitely a missed opportunity, to my way of
thinking.

Mick Zaklan