Re: [Harp-L] 1 4 5 chord

> On May 30, 2015, at 3:53 PM, Tony Stephens <tnysteph@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I have to ask just how important is it to stay in this pattern? If playing in 2nd position on a C would any holes drawing work from 6 to 1?

Forget the theory for a moment. Are you playing by yourself or with others? If the former thereâs lots more freedom. Then itâs all about what pleases you. In that case, staying in the patterns matters not at all.

What happens when you are playing with others (or using a backing track) that follows the I, IV, V pattern and you play random draw notes from the 6 to the one holes? Does it always sound ârightâ to your ear? If you (and your rhythm section) like what you play, then itâs not important at all.

Are there times when your note choice doesnât sound right to you or others? Our ears are accustomed to hearing music that adheres to standard applications of theory and generally associate notes which violate the rules as âwrongâ notes and identify them as bad.

If you are playing a different pattern than your rhythm section, chances are theyâre not going to like it. Then sticking to the pattern is important.

But as with every rule somebody has figured out how to break them and make impactful music. Good for you for questioning the status quo. Use that question to explore other possibilities. Who knows whatâll you come up with. And Iâm sure everyone here would welcome innovative music that moves us.

Bob Cohen
Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
w: bobjcohen.com
t: #itsabobworld