[Harp-L] Identify this 64 Chromonica

This is likely a prewar 64. Look at the reed rivets. Prewar rivets are round where they meet the reed, not swedged (cross hatched marks.) Look for the star on the covers as Winslow stated. The prewar mouthpiece holes are larger than plastic valved 64's.  The slide bottom plate and upper channel do not have alignment tabs and slots in the center on early prewar 64's. Also, a middle reed plate screw at the mouthpiece side does not exist. Finally, the reed material is different and desired by experienced 64 players because the brass has more lead contact and can be controlled much better than current reeds.  Your harmonica is likely 1930's.  Suggest a highly competent harmonica technician be sought out to give your 64 the full treatment which includes new style valves and possibly a lucite block.   You will not be sorry.  I have about 6 of them rebuilt with various turnings (A441, 442, 443) and they perform very well.  Send a pic for more info.

Stryker

From: Robert Hale <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 12:13 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Identify this 64 Chromonica

I was given a 64 Chromonica, but the valves are unfamiliar. There are SOME
full leather strips, but most are leather with a narrow metal strip
throughout its length.

Interested to know, approximately what year? Customized? Effective when new?
Harp comb and hard case are matching burl veneer.

Robert Hale

Best,

Tom