Re: [Harp-L] overblow terminology

I propose that we drop the use of the term OVERBEND, because it adds
another layer to FOUR already very specific terms.
We want to specify one of four conditions:

   1. draw + lower = draw bend
   2. blow + lower = blow bend
   3. draw + raise = overdraw
   4. blow + raise = overblow

Overbend adds no value. Kill it!

ARCHIVES
Tin Lizzie has done well here: (with a little of my formatting added)

*LOWERING PITCH*

a. DRAW BEND
In holes 1-6 of a Richter-tuned harp, the draw note is higher than the blow
note, and the bend is achieved by lowering the pitch of the draw note, and
is called âdraw bending."

b. BLOW BEND
In holes 7-10 of a Richter-tuned harp, the blow note is higher, and the
bend is achieved by lowering the pitch of the blow note, and is called
âblow bending."

*RAISING PITCH*

c. OVERDRAW
The breath direction on chambers 7-10 is draw, and these notes are referred
to as âoverdraws.â

d. OVERBLOW
On a Richter-tuned harp, the breath direction required for this technique
on chambers 1-6 is blow, and the notes are commonly referred to as
âoverblows."

Do we have consensus?

Robert Hale
Serious Honkage in Arizona